Starting Tuesday, New York City employers are required by law to include “a bona fide salary range” for every job they post. (“Good faith” means “the salary range that the employer honestly believes at the time they list the job they are willing to pay the successful applicant(s)).”
Ranges must include a minimum and a maximum; employers cannot say something like “$15/hour and up.” (So some — cough New York Post cough — find wiggle room in ranges like “$15/hour to $125,000.”
We scoured the job boards to find out what media companies, both those based in New York City and those with offices or some positions there, are paying — and if they’re following the spirit of the law. (By the way, is it fair to expect companies to already be in compliance? Yes, they’ve had months to prepare and the rule was already delayed once.)
This list is being processed and will be updated as of Tuesday afternoon.
KEY ✔️ = Useful salary ranges for jobs in NYC. 👎 = Technically consistent, but the ranges are questionable. ❌ = No salary information provided.
New York City-based jobs do not include salary ranges from 3:00 PM ET.
New York City-based jobs do not include salary ranges from 2:30 PM ET.
✔️ The Atlantic Ocean
Atlanten appears to provide salary ranges for all positions, including those with the option to work remotely. Example:
- Senior Photo Editor: “Salary Minimum: $100,000, Max Salary: $120,000.”
- Staff writer, The Daily: “Minimum salary: $60,000, Max salary: $70,000.”
- Product manager: “Minimum salary: $60,000, Maximum salary: $130,000.”
Axios provides salary ranges for jobs listed under its “NYC Office,” even if they are remote. Salary information is not provided for jobs based in other offices. Example:
- Associate Director, Integrated Marketing: “The target earnings for this role are in the $90,000-$110,000 range and are dependent on many factors, including but not limited to location, work experience and skills.”
- Senior Software Engineer (Backend): “The base salary range for this role is listed below and is dependent on many factors, including but not limited to location, work experience and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
L6: $160,000 – $210,000
L5: $160,000 – $200,000
L4: $130k – $190k”
✔️ / 👎 Bloomberg
✔️ Bustle Digital Group
✔️ CBS News
✔️ Chalk beat
✔️ The city
❌ Condé Nast
As of Tuesday at 2:45 PM ET, Condé Nast displayed only two US-based postings on its job board; neither contained salary information, and both had been posted more than thirty days ago.
✔️ The Daily Beast
Financial Times New York-based jobs do not include salary information as of 4:30 PM ET.
✔️ First Look Media
Forbes seems to publish salary ranges for all jobs. Example:
✔️ G/O Media
- Staff writer, Quartz: “This is a position covered by the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-East which sets the minimum salary for this position at $62,000. This position is set at a range of $62,000 to $68,000.”
- Editor-in-Chief, New York, NY: “Salary for this position ranges from $300,000.00 to $350,000.00.”
✔️ The Guardian
❌ The information
New York-based jobs do not include salary information as of 2:45 PM ET.
✔️ Insider Inc.
❌ New York Daily News
The few jobs currently listed were posted in 2021 and do not include salary ranges.
👎 New York Post
- Decider Digital Project Manager: “$50,000-$145,000”
- SEO Manager: $50,000 – $145,000
- Assistant Photo Editor, Sunday (Tue–Sat): “$50,000 – $145,000”
- Digital Sports Reporter/Producer: “$15/hour – $125,000”
- Tech Reporter: “$50,000 – $145,000”
- Political reporter: “$15/hour – $125,000”
✔️ New York Times
The Times provides basic salary ranges, including for jobs that can be done remotely. Example:
- Senior Designer in New York, NY: $76,500 to $105,000
- Reporting Community of New York, NY: $76,168.04
- Washington, DC Legal Affairs Correspondent: $115,506.56 to $170,000.00
- Director, Story and Audience Analysis in New York, NY: $152,000 to $185,000.00
- Senior art director, games, in New York, NY: $140,000 to $165,000
- Supervising Editor, Style, Wirecutter, in New York, NY or remote: $92,650 to $109,000
New York City-based jobs do not include salary ranges from 4:00 PM ET.
- News Editor: “The annual base salary range for this job is between $82,000 and $100,000.”
- Podcast Host – ICYMI: “The annual base salary range for this job is between $100,000 and $115,000.”
New York City-based jobs do not include salary ranges from 4:40 PM ET.
- Editor, Shopping & Reviews: “New York/California: $64,000 – $75,000
Outside New York/California: $54,000 – $64,000″
- Associate Writer, Affiliate: “New York/California: $55,000 – $60,000”
- VP, Audio: “New York/California: $190,000 – $230,000”
✔️ Vox Media
Vox provides salary ranges for all positions, including for jobs that can be performed remotely. Example:
👎 Wall Street Journal
❌ Washington Post
No salary information is provided for jobs that list New York, NY as their location.
This list is being updated.