Tom Tugendhat could face a driving ban after he was caught using a mobile phone at the wheel.
Tonbridge and Malling Security Minister and Conservative MP apologized after April 4 He was stopped by the police in his Skoda 4×4 in Wandsworth.
The 49-year-old, who was running for the Tory leadership after Boris Johnson quit earlier this year, told the officer he was using his mobile phone to navigate, according to court documents.
The Metropolitan Police sent him a conditional fixed penalty offer later that month and Mr Tugendhat agreed to pay the fine and surrender his driving licence.
But the alleged offence, first revealed by the Evening Standard, was sent to court for prosecution as Mr Tugendhat already had six penalty points on his driving record.
The case will be heard at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on Friday under a single justice procedure, with the prosecution being heard in private.
Using a mobile phone while driving can result in six penalty points, and a driver who accumulates 12 points over a three-year period can be disqualified.
Police officer’s statement to the court
In a statement to the court, Pc Joseph Robson said he spotted the politician’s car on April 4. before 2:45 p.m. on Wandsworth High Street.
“I observed that the driver of this vehicle was using a portable mobile device while driving,” he said.
“The device was held in their left hand forward, in front of them.
“I saw it from about 3 meters, in good daylight without any obstructions, I saw it for about 20 seconds.
“The driver seemed to be talking.
“The driver appeared to be out of control of the device.
“I stopped the car and talked to the driver. I confirmed that they did not contact 999.
“I pointed out the crime when they confirmed that the communication was done using maps.
Tom Tugendhat “unreservedly apologizes”
Mr Tugendhat, who lives in Clapham, south-west London, had no comment when told of the possible prosecution, the official said.
A spokesman for Mr Tugendhat said on Tuesday: ‘Tom was stopped by the police in April this year for holding a phone while driving.
“He accepts that it is an offense to use a phone while driving.
“Tom immediately enrolled in a driving course of his own free will.
“He received the court papers six months later and pleads guilty.
“He apologizes unreservedly and will accept the outcome of the case.”
It is understood Mr Tugendhat informed the permanent secretary at the Home Office about the driving offense after he was appointed minister in September.